Small Business: How to pay yourself

Dividend or Salary As the owner of a Canadian small business corporation, you generally have two methods when it comes to paying yourself: Dividend – an investment return paid out of the corporation’s retained earnings Salary – an employment return paid out of the corporation’s net income The Canadian personal and corporate income tax structure is designed to…



Accounting is a world of acronyms. CA, CGA, CMA, CPA, what do they all mean? Jibe Accounting is here to help you understand ASAP, OK? As of January of 2013, Chartered Accountants (“CAs”) adopted the Chartered Professional Accountant (“CPA”) designation. The three accounting bodies in Canada, CA, Certified Management Accountants (“CMAs”), and Certified General Accountants…

Magnifiying glass

Allowable Business Expenses – Avoid an Audit

We are often asked by our clients what constitutes an allowable business expense. The answer is simple, a deductible business expense is any reasonable current expense you paid or will be paid in order to earn business income. This means that personal expenses are specifically excluded. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has put together an army of auditors designed specifically to discover false expense…